Friday, January 13, 2006

Just Build Him a Beautiful Horse Tomb

I have a special place in my heart for Jim Reeves, a little-known crooner who did most of his work in the 50's and early 60's. (That's in the 1900's, kids)

My folks listened to Jim Reeves as I was growing up - in fact, at a very young age I thought my Dad sang all those songs, and he must have recorded them for us...But no.

Later, I met Cindy thanks to the fact that I had 'Jim Reeves' in my AOL user profile. (Yay!)

I was just listening to internet radio and one of my favorite Reeves songs came on, The Blizzard...It's a great song, well written and tenderly delivered...But it annoys me on a certain level...

Here it is:

There's a blizzard coming on, how I'm wishing I was home,
for my pony's lame, and he can hardly stand.
Listen to that norther sigh, if we don't get home we'll die.
But it's only seven miles to Mary Ann's.
It's only seven miles to Mary Ann's.

You can bet we're on her mind, for it's nearly suppertime
and I'll bet there's hot biscuits in the pan.

Lord my hands feel like they're froze, and there's a numbness in my toes.
But it's only five more miles to Mary Ann's.
It's only five more miles to Mary Ann's.

That wind's howling and it seems - mighty like a woman's scream.
And we'd best be moving faster if we can.
Dan just think about that barn, with the hay so soft and warm.

It's only three more miles to Mary Ann's.

Dan get up you ornery cuss, or you'll be the death of us.
I'm so weary, but I'll help you if I can.
Alright Dan, perhaps it's best, if we stop a while and rest.
For it's still a hundred yards to Mary Ann's.
It's still a hundred yards to Mary Ann's.

Late that night the storm was gone, and they found him there at dawn.
He'd-a made it but - he just couldn't leave old Dan.
Yes they found him there on the plains, hands froze to the reigns.
He was just a hundred yards form Mary Ann's.


Damn, dude!..Leave the stupid horse and get your ass over to Mary Ann's!..How long do horses live anyway, ten years?

I don't mean abandon him, but go in and get some help from Mary Ann, maybe...Get the sled, drag Dan into the barn. Die for a horse - Jeez!..100 yards. Humph. Hot biscuits are waiting, yo!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. A horse over hot biscuits? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the romance in that?

    ReplyDelete