Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Kudos, Sis!

My decade younger than me sister - who is only 24! - has just bought a house. Of course, she lives in Ohio where mere mortals can still afford a house. She bought it for about $60,000 - which in Los Angeles might buy you a cardboard shanty in downtown Hooverville (not the suburbs, forget it).

Meanwhile I'm still doing the 'renting an apartment' thing, and will for the next few years most likely, and wondering what the heck I did with my twenties... Oh that's right, I did nothing. Grrr.

Kudos, Sis! You always were good at saving. When she was two, and you handed her a candy bar, she would eat a third of it and save the rest in the fridge. I was always a gobbler - I'd wolf a snack down and look for more. Just something fundamentally different in our brains, I guess.

Since we're planning to move to Florida by mid-2006, and rent and real estate is a lot cheaper where we're going, I think the odds are good that we'll have a house within another five years. I'll be about 40. Wheeeee!

Speaking of moving, can anyone recommend a good nationwide moving company? Tell us which companies to avoid? We're still debating whether to get a company or to move it all ourselves.

4 comments:

  1. w00t! Yay, Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend "Paulius Industries Inc. Movers To The Stars".

    At least 15% of your possesions are almost guaranteed to reach their destination.

    But not your DVD player, or any computer equipment. I like those kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no recommendations, but having moved 7 times in the past 8 years - the mover is well worth the money. We've done it both ways - and it makes a long distance move all the better when you know that you are not going to run the rish of running your life's possessions off the road in a U-Haul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm insanely jealous. The medium price for a house here in Sydney is at least half a mill, add another $200k for a decent area.

    Good luck to your sis!

    ReplyDelete