Friday, January 14, 2005

Friday Fun, and Then Some

Payday has arrived! And with fundage, the spending can commence. Sent the Red Cross forty bucks cause it's high time I did, and they can use it for some good I hope.

I bought a one month subscription to Nerve.com so I could read those two Nani Power stories. Darn them and their premium level access. I guess getting to read more Nani for seven bucks aint bad. I'll cancel my subscription in a week or two, I just wanted to read those two shorts.

Nani Power is a great writer. She's wordy, but does not ramble. She uses no more words than it requires to get her point across. More often than not, the 'point' is a sensation, more than a topic. Her writing is a series of emotions, more than actions. There is action, activity, cause and effect in her writing, to be sure - but the inner dialog is more important than what's happening. Her word choice is very strong and clear.

Nani only uses non-typical words when necessary. I like that I need to refer to the dictionary now and then while reading her work. (Such as the word 'attar': "A fragrant essential oil (as from rose petals") She is not afraid to use run-on sentences or awkward words. Like 'Sillily'. Her use of language is something that I would very much like to learn from.

I wish I could read the other NP shorts - in 'Gargoyle' and... uh... 'Wordwrights!' I think it was. It looks like I'll need to request back issues of those. Odds are, I'll never get to read the short play she wrote, what is it called? Oh yes - 'In the Blood'.

I took some more 'The Sea of Tears' notes this morning, for the page on IdeaGateway.com. I typed out a couple of excerpts. I'm not clear as to exactly how much content a person is allowed to use when describing a work. The fair use laws are kind of vague. It comes down to not using the 'heart' of the material. Which is tricky, because if you are trying to demonstrate a work's quality, shouldn't you show the best of it? Obviously you don't want to include spoilers, but...

Cindy leaves this week for her trip to Florida. She'll be gone for a while, and I no likie.

Brian is off today, so I am sitting here alone doing nothing, rather than doing nothing in tandem. Maybe I'll get some research done today at least. I'm hungry today! I already ate lunch, and could go for a snack. It's those waffles I had for breakfast. Damned carbs!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me!

    The RedCross that is!

    ReplyDelete