Monday, January 17, 2005

Why I Never!

Cindy and I went to Liz's party at her new apartment on Saturday night. It was cool, there were people I knew from Universal. Erika and her man showed up, and we spent most of our time chatting with them.

Martin - who I worked with at Universal - was at the party, and he suggested that I send him my resume. He's working at a company called New.net, and they do web servers and the like. I don't know anything about web programming, and told him so - he said I should send it anyway. I just sent it, so we'll see what happens.

It was a relaxing weekend, I worked on IdeaGateway.com on and off, made some progress. Of course, I came to realize that I have at least a week's worth of work left. I always think a project is going to be very quick and straightforward, and I dive in only to discover how complicated it is. Ah well. No biggie.

I watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' which we received from Netflix like two months ago. Such a good movie! Of course, it has one Kate Winslet in it, so I'm biased. :o)

I got up this morning and took my dawn walk, but didn't end up getting any work done. I dug through the old mail to find my DMV Registration form (which is a week late, as of today). I puttered around the house a bit, wasn't in the mood for working on the PC. I picked up a money order and sent off the DMV form, so that is good to go.

Hey! I found 'The Good Remains' as I was digging around. I thought I'd lost it or accidentally turned it in to the used bookstore. But no, I found it. It is sans dust jacket. I either tossed it or Cindy has it secreted away somewhere. I'll have to ask her about it.

I had an idea for peanut butter and jelly. PBJ should come in a form like toothpaste. And, like toothpaste, it would be striped. it would not be striped with minty freshness, but with peanut butter and jelly. Hmm? I think it's a great idea. It could come in a can, like cheeze whiz. What do you think? Is the world ready for convenient pbj? I think so! Mayhaps I will start a company to make it.

Oh oh! I had a dream over the weekend, it may have been Sunday morning. I was at a masquerade ball, and everyone was dressed in 18th Century French costume. (Think, French Revolution ala Les Miserables). I was in the present day, and it was a period costume party. This pretty girl comes up to me, and she's wearing anachronistic (for 1700's France) facial jewelry. I've always found metal studs in the face to be exotic and sexy. Kind of like smoking. I would not get my face pierced, I would not smoke. I find them alluring, because they are different. I would not want to live with a studded smoker, but from a distance, it's sexy.

So she comes up to me and says "Take a walk with me."
"Huh?" I says, with manly confidence.
"You're Mike _____."
"Yeah..." Says I.
"Come on. Outside."

So I step out on the parapet, and there are violinists out there. We move to the far end of the parapet, where there's a balcony jutting out to the side.

"This is so cool, to meet you."
"Oh?" I stammer.

I was leaning with my back against the stone of the balcony, the fall behind me. I would have been uneasy about a possible fall, but she was distracting me.

She was facing the fall, looking out at the trees. I watched her as she she watched the world. Her eyes flicked towards mine, and then away. Like a nervous girl, which seemed rare for her.

"You are very famous, where I come from. Big time."
"Mn. Where is that?"
"The future."
"Ah." I didn't believe her, of course. But it's a pleasant thought and I roll with it.
"So why am I famous?"
"There are reasons," she says carefully.
"Oh, now you're going to be mysterious? After a line like that?"
"It's not a line." She bit her lip, considered. "I just don't want to change anything."
"Haven't you already done that?"
"No." She said with certainty, as if, in some far-distant memoir, I'd described this very conversation.
"Okay. So what can you tell me?"
The musicians broke into another song, this one bright and loud. As if they were trying to drown her out. The wind began to blow, a rushing whistle. As if the world were resisting the fulfillment of this particular present-and-future. Next would be a giant bird to carry her away from me, or a bolt of lightning.

She moved closer, facing me. I held still, facing the party, my back facing the fall. She moved closer so I could hear her voice better over the violins. Her breath was warm against my ear.

"Just. Be who you are." Her lips touched my ear and her skin was very warm. Her jewelry brushed me, cold from the wind. It was a sweet opposition of contrasts, and my breath puffed out in surprise and appreciation. She kissed my neck in a lingering, familiar gesture.

"That's it?" I said finally, when she pulled away.

"Yeah."

She pranced away and returned to the party.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:19 AM

    I don't share my sexy stranger dreams with you, but you'll share yours with the world. A studded lip and nose it is, just enough to set off the metal detectors at the airport.

    ReplyDelete