Monday, August 22, 2005

SpoilerGuard(TM) from MikeCorp!

I'm always a few years (or decades) behind the cusp when it comes to popular books, trends, TV shows, and even slang. Usually I'm groovy with that, daddy-oh.

Such as TV shows - which I prefer to watch on DVD. I'm currently on disc 4, season 1 of 24.

I obsessively eschew spoilers like Monk avoids human contact. I don't read magazine or online articles about shows I'm interested in, I shun conversations where people are discussing them, etc.

I was minding my own business Saturday morning, relaxing on the couch with coffee and an oatmeal bar, comfy and unsuspecting.

Watching TV, I was flipping around from channel to channel and stopped on Secrets of Pearl Harbor, a shipwreck diving documentary hosted by Dennis Haysbert - most recently known as David Palmer on 24.

Dennis opened with "I play 24 SPOILER, but in my free time I love diving."

Well shit.
After years of avoiding suspense-ruinous factoids about 24, I get back-stabbed by The Discovery Channel. I mean, thirty seconds before, I was happily considering the suspenseful possibility that David Palmer might soon be spoiler on 24.

I have all sorts of filters on my PC for pop-up ads, spy-ware, and viruses. Why not, for my TV and PC - SpoilerGuard!!

'ContentGuard' might be a better description. If there is a topic you'd rather avoid (yes, this would be handy for those tiresome courtroom Trials of the Century too) you set the ContentGuard and it filters out whatever you please. Think of it as a useful application of the V-Chip.

(Like that one commercial with the catchy jingle that you hate so much, you sing it for days after each time you hear it).

If I had ContentGuard, my Saturday morning would have been unmarred by spoilers. I would have heard Dennis open with "Beeeeeeeeeeeep in my free time I love diving."

And I would still be cheerfully unaware that beeeeeeeep is beeeep and beeeep with the beeeeep have failed in the beeeep.

Ignorance is beeeeep.

~~~~~~~~

New book review posted

5 comments:

  1. I beeeeeeeeeep but also beeeeeeeeeeeep sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, if you think that the Dennis Haysbert spoiler was bad, just wait until you see the scene where Jack goes undercover as a beeeeep, then beeeeeps the head beeeeep in return for a little beeeeep.

    Frankly, I'm suprised they allow that sort of thing on television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beep beep!

    I don't watch much TV, so much of this is lost one me. But I can pretend you are talking about the Roadrunnder and feel okay about myself.

    eh em

    ReplyDelete