Monday, August 01, 2005

Vote YES on 232: Public Spankings

Perhaps wrongly, I'm all about order. My job in quality assurance has probably honed my OCD to an unfortunate degree.

I approve of rules and structure.

There are thousands of rules and laws that are supposed to govern our daily lives, but they don't usually have much of an effect.

It's all about enforcement. When I watch a futuristic movie like The Island, where every little infraction gets you a stern but civil talking to by Security, I can't help but think "Wow, that would be great in real life".

Every time some jerk speeds past me doing 105mph and there's no cop to be seen, or people are loud, rude and thoughtless.

I'm sure that I'm guilty of a lot more illegal and rude things than I'm aware of, but hey, if there was some enforcement, I'd learn to behave better, wouldn't I?

Rules without enforcement are useless, be it in the workplace or in the world at large.

7 comments:

  1. Bring on the spankings!


    Er, ehem . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--you have 7 blogs now ?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's official: you have more split personalities than i do

    ReplyDelete
  4. Law and rules are pretty much illusory.

    Laws and rules only actually protect and govern as long as people agree to follow them.

    I agree with you, it would be nice if every law and rule could be enforced. However, as long as people have free will, there will be crime.

    It's the price we pay for free will, I guess.

    On the other hand, I don't think I wanna like in a Logan's Run type of world either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah--people will always find ways to break the laws that are in place, but they do go a long way in providing a foundation of order, even if they can't all be fully enforced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Rules without enforcement are useless" - I've been trying to persuade my partner of this for more than 10 years. Rules without enforcement are just advice.

    Mind you, if you've ever visited Germany, you might change your opinion. We were once in a German sauna, where a German burgher harangued my partner because she was wearing a swimsuit and swimsuits were verboten! He stood over her until she complied. He wasn't even a sauna employee.

    During our vacation there, we became used to being told off, and eventually we realised they actually mean well, they think they're just helping you to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I claim my job in quality assurance is because of my OCD.

    Oh well, chicken or egg, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete