Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Workin It

I've been unusually busy at work lately - but I can't complain, it's computer work and I can listen to my iPod while I clicky clicky.

I try to be careful and thorough - it's my nature and my experience.

Experience: A good ten years ago, I was working at a warehouse, doing lots of lifting, stacking and etc. One of my duties was to clean up the litter around the outside of the building.

I always hated this job, and did a lot of grumbling to myself.
Once, I found a dollar bill! Made my afternoon.

One day, there was a robbery at the nearby bank, and the robber was brought to ground right outside the door of the warehouse. We watched as the guy was cuffed and taken away by a big group of cops.

A year goes by. Life as usual. I keep doing my warehousing duties, and picking up litter.

The police show up at our doorstep one day with some lawyers and the robber, now dressed in a suit. We watch as they fumble in the bushes and bring up a plastic bag.

The plastic bag was partially under the exposed roots of a big bush. The plastic bag had $12,000 in it.

If only I'd have been more thorough in my litter cleanup. It pays to be thorough, sometimes literally.

4 comments:

  1. I bet you was just KICKING yourself that evening.
    Along those lines....Did you hear about that guy in England this week? He's pissed too....He let a lady with two very small kids in front of him at the checkout line- He was there to buy a lottery ticket-so was she. She won something like 84 million Euros- he is now trying to get her to anty up half to him.

    LOL- I just go to work for my 32 cents an hour.
    ;-)
    I actually found a hundred dollar bill at a stop sign one day when I was 12. Was riding in the back of my dads truck and saw it. Of course, he confiscated it. Darnit.

    BTW- You really DID dodge the bullet with being tagged- If I hadn't had a headache and had read that Cindy had already been tagged by Serendipity, I would have had Paulius, YOU and Ozzy as my tagged persons.

    I wonder if I can go back and change that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yeah.... what would you have done with that money? I'm sure it would have been marked in some fashion right? Or maybe you'd have the robber chasing after you! Ooh, intrigue!

    And I think Sunny should tag you, definitely, bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no, it's too late for tagging, sorry. Maybe next time. Shucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Found Money' is never as simple as it seems.

    Like the guy who found $20,000 in a suitcase in the back of his cab.

    It had a name and address with it, so he returned it. Apparently the money was the life savings of some old grandma, who was going to give it to her granddaughter for college.

    It made headline news, and this guy made hundreds of thousands of it. Saab gave him a $20,000 car for an advertising campaign...TV appearances, chat shows, newspaper articles.

    All told he made over $100,000.

    Sometimes honesty DOES pay.

    ReplyDelete