Monday, October 10, 2005

Get Your Write On!

November is National Novel Writing Month!

The goodly folks over at NaNoWriMo have a yearly ritual where they encourage us would-be writers to actually finish something for a change - to write write write without our bothersome internal critics nit-picking everything to a standstill. The idea is to finish and then edit the work to your heart's content.

The goal is to write a short novel of 50,000 words within 30 days. (1666.6 words per day, easy!)

This diabolical plan is assisted by a fun how-to book, 'No Plot? No Problem! A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days' by Chris Baty, the man who founded the program back in 1999. The book is a quick read, and I'd recommend it to all writing procrastinators.

NaNoWriMo is a pretty cool web site, there are forums where the writers encourage one another, you can post your current word count, and you can even meet, greet and gather in person with NaNoWriMo writers in your area for writing sessions.

What's not to like? I entered last year, and made it up to about 20,000 words I think. I hope to do better in 2005.

One of the few ways the idea could be improved would be to run the program more than once a year - in November, and also in May. The folks who work retail like Cindy don't have any spare time during the Christmas season.

The illustrious Invisible Lizard has posted on this topic as well, in far more detail - check it out!

6 comments:

  1. A mini novel?

    How quaint!

    Good luck with the challenge.

    Are you still working on the one you started last year- or did it fall by the wayside?

    I have two in the works now. You've read an excerpt from Hunters Revenge and I have another based on a subject my Dad has lectured about for years. i had to put that one away for a while when he became sick again last year. It seemed too hard(and a bit evil) to write about the subject when he was going to be with us for such a short time. But anyone who has had a loving father will relate to this story.

    Anyway.....a bit off subject here- but can you tell Cindy to get back to her site and FIX it?
    Dang, I miss her stuff!!

    Oh- never mind- i can e-mail her and tell her myself.
    ... DUH!! Serious Blonde moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to drop the story from last year. It was too out there, too many characters, too odd.

    It was more a writing exercise than a book. So this year will be an all-new story idea.

    Cindy - I know! She's been very busy since she got back from her business trip, and hasn't found the time to repair her template.

    I'll make sure she knows you guys are missing her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you return to your Dad's lecture topic someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will.....and very soon.

    I plan on dedicating the book specially to him - but also to ALL Dads who want only the best for their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Illustrious? No way I'm worthy of that adjectve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizard - you callin me a LIAR? Huh? Are ya, punk?

    ReplyDelete