Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Secret Family Cookie Recipe

For the last 20 years, I've been trying to get the top secret classified Date Pinwheel Cookie recipe from my Great-Aunt Laura (she could totally kick your Great-Aunt's ASS) and I finally got it.

I had to take a few blood oaths, there was some chanting in archaic Dutch and signing of documentae in ichor, but I got the recipe!

Yummy!We're not a big baking household, so I had to buy all the ingredients, including sugar. Considering I bought fresh dates (as fresh as dates come - had to go to two stores to find them) and everything else required, including a rolling pin, they were some pretty expensive cookies.


I should have just flown Aunt Laura out here and watched her make them.

I made them myself! Considering I've never baked from scratch in my life, I think the cookies were amazingly good. There are already lots of little things I know to do differently next time.

Can a real man bake cookies and not lose Manly Points?
Yes. Yes he can. The leather apron and blacksmith mitts help.

The cookies are too tasty not to share, so here is the recipe: (Takes days to prep, and less than 10 mins to bake, crazy! Actually, I think the overnight freezing has no part in the chemical process, but it does make the dough easier to cut into cookie rounds).

Below is the recipe as she noted it. I'm planning some modifications, and will post my modified recipe once I have it (cause this is turning into a baking blog, surprise)!

~~~~~

Date Pinwheel Cookies

Dough:

1 cup - - - Margarine (Softened)
2 cups - - - Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
4 cups - - - Flour
1/2 teaspoon - - - Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon - - - Salt

Mix and then chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 day.

~~~~~

Filling:

1 cup - - - Sugar
2 1/4 cup - - - Dates, chopped and blended
1 cup - - - Water

Simmer 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.

~~~~~

Divide the chilled dough in 2 halves for easier handling.

Roll dough about 1/4 inch thick.

Spread filling over dough.

Roll dough up into swirly log and wrap in wax paper.

Store in freezer for 1-2 days, or until fully chilled.

Once fully chilled, cut dough into 1/4 inch slices

Place slices on a greased cookie sheet

Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.


Devour cookies with milk, glee and zeal. Gusto is optional.

6 comments:

  1. "Can a real man bake cookies and not lose Manly Points?"

    I hope so, or I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound good. I'll have to try them sometime.

    It's getting to be the time of year when I bake a ton of cookies anyway. And I can tell you that if any male friends of mine that wanted to actually help would only not lose "manly points" they would gain massive brownie points haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owwwwwwww- Etcher owns a LEATHER apron!!

    SEXY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking can be VERY manly.

    Especially when you use a blowtorch to caramelize sugar.

    Plus, women love men who can cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way,

    Won't you get hung, drawn and quartered for revealing a recipe you great aunt kept secret for 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could get in trouble, I suppose... But I would explain that the cookies are just too good not to share, and that the world is better off now.

    She'd understand.

    ReplyDelete