Saturday, October 22, 2005

Ten Years Ago Today

EASAS Archives - Oct 22, 1995

I just bought my first operating system - called Windows 95. I don't know about this whole GUI thing, I'm gonna miss DOS. Windows 95 has 13 floppy discs for the install, whew! And I thought Mechwarrior 2 was bad! Brian Eno composed the start-up sound wav, which I think is super cool.

I read a story today about global warming. Alarmists! According to the story, 'Dozens of cities, most notably Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, set all-time record high temperatures. Hundreds in these and other cities die as the July 1995 heat wave reaches its peak' I think this year was a fluke.

In ten years, we'll all laugh at the idea of global warming.

5 comments:

  1. global warming my ars--it's 44 today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk to me about global warming when it is -45C this coming January. Harump!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cold in England, that where I used to live, when we first heard about global warming, you couldn't hear anything over the hiss of aerosol cans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the term 'global warming' is something of a misnomer. It would be better to say "Carbon-Dioxide Related Climate Change".

    It leads to more chaotic and extreme weather, so we can expect more blizzards as well as more scorching summer temperatures. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While everyone else commented on the global warming bit, I, on the other hand, am geeky enough to comment on the OS install. :)

    If you ever feel like waxing nostalgic over those old DOS games, you can download a proggy called DOSBox (its an open-source sourceforge thang, it emulates an x86 Intel box) and bask in the fuzzy glow of editing autoexec.bat files. :D

    Last week when cubeland was a ghost town, I played some X-Com UFO Defense!

    ReplyDelete