Friday, October 07, 2005

WikiPedia Wiki Wiki Wow Wow

If you have not yet found your way to Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia - I highly recommend you head over there and spend some time reading.

"A 'wiki' is a web application that allows users to add content, as on an internet forum, but also allows others (often completely unrestricted) to edit the content."

This means if you find a mistake in an entry, you can correct it. If you have something to add, you can do it. You would think this would lead to a lot of sloppy writing and soft facts, but the site has a nominally high quality and is very informative.

The main page opens with a featured article and interesting news of the day, stuff I don't see over on CNN. I also like the 'random article' button, it's lots of fun.

But then, I was the kid reading the dictionary for fun, so my opinion is questionable.

In a fun twist, there is a bizarro twin of Wikipedia called Uncyclopedia, and it is full of utterly wrong facts. Thoroughly entertaining wrong facts. It's where you'd send your evil stepsister when she asks you for help on her report.

~~~~~~~~~

Holy Crap! I won the writing contest!! Thanks to everyone who voted for me, I guess my constant harassment finally paid off. This will only encourage me, what were you thinking?

Those of you who didn't vote, Ha Ha! I won despite your cruel inaction, thpppt!

8 comments:

  1. Wikipedia is definitely one of my favorite places to go online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does that mean you will appear on your own Wikipedia page with your writing contast trophy?!?!?

    Do I know you? Do I know you?
    I'll need your autograph next . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. this contest can be another line on your CV . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know me! I'm the silly guy who writes this blog.

    What's a CV?

    ReplyDelete
  5. a CV is a fancy resume for published people (some of whom never learn to spell)--

    ReplyDelete
  6. circum vita


    Latin for "I think I'm hot shit."

    ReplyDelete
  7. WikiPedia rules! It's like, full of facts, and stuff.

    The Uncyclopedia is decidedly strange.

    ReplyDelete