Thursday, October 20, 2005

Mis-Taken Indentity

Since I am eponymously distractable, I very often consider changing the title of this blog. I'd probably change the name monthly, but the idea is to gather readers, build name recognition, get millions of hits per day, swim in ad revenue ala Scrooge McDuck and retire to Alaska.

(Don't tell Cindy this plan - she has a strange aversion to snow - I'll have to slowly ease us northward over a decade or two).

Changing the name constantly would be wacky chaotic fun, but the kind folks who link to me would be annoyed, having to change their link text all the time. Or worse, the links would have the wrong title - terrible!

One thing I wonder about is the use of Etch-A-Sketch in my title. What happens if
The Ohio Art Co. (who own the trademark) sends me a letter one day, insisting I cease and desist referencing their product in my blog name?

"I'm using it as an adjective" I'd say. The Etch-A-Sketch is a cultural phenomenon, has become a piece of Americana, and so if I am like an etch-a-sketch, that's different than saying I am an etch-a-sketch. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Hmn, Might be a good idea to use a name that doesn't infringe anything legal. Something I can put on a t-shirt and not get sued. To the world of high fashion - brace yourself for a new major player.

How about:

Ouija Magpie (Oops, Parker Bros owns 'Ouija')

umm.

Magpie at Keyboard
Me Like Shiny Things
Marooned at Weather Station 402
Synapse Soundbytes
Ideomotor Effect

On second thought, maybe suffering a little legal action is worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing promotes web traffic like a good lawsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like
    ME LIKE SHINY THINGS

    Sounds like a typical male thing with the added bonus of it's a male freely admitting it.

    Not too common these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick is, when Etch-a-sketch attempt to sue, point out how many readers you have, and put up an Etch ad on the site.

    They get some advertising, you get some revenue.

    Either that, or just change the name...

    Oh, and thank you for getting the theme to "Duck Tales" stuck in my head.

    Be careful when including references to 80's cartoons, it's not good for my sanity.

    'Life is like a hurricane,
    (here in, duckburg)
    Racecars, lazers, aeroplanes,
    (it's a duck-blur)
    Might solve a mystery,
    (da da daaa)
    Or re-write history!

    Duck Tales
    (a wooo ooo)

    Do not mention Scrooge McDuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often thought about the probability of you being sued . . . the headlines . . . the tabloids . . . the cult-driven fans . . .

    ReplyDelete