Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bally's Total Naked

So this morning was my first exercise session at Bally's. I know that millions of people work out there every day, but this was my first gym experience ever, outside of public school.

They have lots and lots of beautiful equipment, and it's well-maintained. I was there at about 7am, and it was surprisingly busy, but not crowded. Liz met up with me, and we did 20 mins on the treadmill (3.5mph) and 15 mins on the Elliptical Trainer (which was very good, almost like running on the Moon, but needed better foot traction) and then 10 mins on the StairMaster. It was more like the StairAssistantManager, but hey. We'll be doing upper body tomorrow.

Almost everyone there was your average joe, I didn't see any idealized human specimen/god/goddess. Just out of shape people, trying to work off their excesses, just like me.

My big qualm was showering. I had showered with a group of other guys in high school gym class, (decades ago, for I am ancient) and I didn't like it one bit. So I wasn't really looking forward to getting naked with all and sundry. But I have to say, it wasn't bad. The thing that really set me at ease was the old guys.

There were a goodly number of retired gents getting their naked on, hanging out, talking, chillin. I have a gut that I'm trying to burn off, and it makes me self-conscious. But how can you be self-consious next to four elderly naked dudes? They're talking and laughing, and no one even glanced in my direction.

If you gotta be naked, it could be worse. There weren't a cadre of buff muscle-bound clods pointing at my gut and shrunken package, nope. Old dudes. Well all right then.

And I'd carried a little bottle of liquid soap with me, which it turns out I didn't need cause each shower alcove has its own dispenser. Cool. Trying to encourage my fiancee to get a membership too, but she's not comfy in group settings. Me neither!!

One thing I'm gonna have to work out is what to do with my wet towel and damp exercise clothing. If I leave it wadded in a ball, it'll mildew. If I spread it out to dry in my car, there will be a dank funk in my car all the time. I guess wadded, and in a plastic bag, and hang it when I get home.

I don't have a washer/dryer in my apt, I have to go downstairs and spend precious quarters to wash and dry... So it's not very convenient. Hmn, we'll see. I'll come up with some sort of system. Gonna need more exercise clothes though.

Note to self -
Weigh In = 201 lbs
Goal = 175

Actually, I don't give a damn how much I weigh, as long as I lose the gut. I could weigh 250, and as long as it's muscle, it's all good.

3 comments:

  1. I love old guys in gyms--old guys in gyms make us all feel human again. Yeah--that's what I'm talking. Old guys in gyms.

    We should see more naked old guys too. And chubby naked guys. And naked guys with guts.

    Let's celebrate real nakedness in all of its ugly glory--let's redefine what it means to look "normal."

    Yep, I love my old guys at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:56 PM

    and -- yikes -- gross -- did I, uh, i meant to ask, email you at your home address or something?

    I thought when I hit "reply" it would post to my squirrleymojo post . . . you, uh, don't have my email addy do you??!!

    if you don't--don't ever let me know . . . & sorry to have pestered your "home" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL it's not gross!

    Yes you did email to my personal address. I don't mind, I post the address for the world to see.

    I'm sorry that you accidentally revealed your own email address, I know you appreciate your privacy.

    I was gonna pretend I didn't know your email address, cause I knew it would cause you discomfort.

    Take care in the future, you never know who's gonna get your info!

    You didn't pester me, I'm glad my comment came along at the right time.

    ReplyDelete