Saturday, February 05, 2005

Nice Day!

I just got back from a walk around the neighborhood. I stopped in to visit a library that I've often seen but never entered, until today. They're open till 8 on weekdays and till 5 on Saturday. Cool!

It's a charming little library, circa 1970 -

- - Will someone someday lean over my transparent sarcophagus and cryogenically chilled body in the LACMA Frozarium wing and say, "oh, a charming man, circa 1970", as they read the plaque, artfully lighted and stylish faux bronze - -

It's been a long time since I was in a library. I used to go all the time, a couple of times a week, in fact. I read - on average - a book a day for years, until I graduated from High School. Libraries are familiar and comfy, and you know what to expect while you are in one.

I think that in the present day, people mostly use libraries to check out movies on DVD and music on CD... I'm talking about the younger generations. Older folks still remember libraries are for books. But the days of heading to the library for research and reference is mostly passed, thanks to the internet.

This library has many cute study stations, maybe I'll go there and write sometime, just to get out of the house.

2 comments:

  1. Libraries are excellent for writing in, I must agree.
    This town has two excellent public spaces & my U has just referbished part of its 7 floors (ever been to the general stacks?)

    Speaking of writing, how goes your group?
    What fictions have you created?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The general stacks? What is this? Google sez it's a part of the library at BYU... Do tell!

    My writing group - thanks for asking!
    We meet on Monday nights, and last week was our first meeting. Tomorrow night will be the next meeting. Right now it's just three people, Me, Michelle and Liz.

    We did three exercises while we were gathered, and agreed that each us would post at least one of our works from each meeting online. We're going to create a blog for the group, and post these pieces.

    You've already read my favorite of the three exercises that I wrote, I posted it last Tuesday under Little Bit of Fiction. The other ones weren't very good. The girls have not posted their work yet, but they will or I will pester them no end.

    As for what other fictions I have created, there are a number of short stories, a couple of half-completed novels, and a lot of bad poetry I wrote fifteen years ago.

    ReplyDelete