Tuesday, February 15, 2005

It's Only Tuesday?

Hmn, my sense of what day it is went completely wacko a couple of weeks ago. I can no longer trust it. Today feels like a Friday, and that aint right.

Some people are out sick from work today, it's strangely quiet. And it's gray and overcast outside, so it's just an odd day.

Writing group meets tonight, I managed to pound out 601 words on my project. It's bad. I'm not proud of it. In a way, it needs to be fast and loose, and not weighed down by descriptions. It needs to be an easy read. Maybe it's just the simple voice of it that irks me.

I read the two Nani Power stories that arrived yesterday. They are definitely written by her... I'm torn right now - does she have a consistent quality and cohesive voice, or is she writing one big story separated by novels, shorts, starts and stops. Is it too much the same? Need to digest.

Don't be confused now - she's amazing. I'm just trying to understand how all her written works fit together, or if that's just my brain seeking a pattern that doesn't exist.

I still need to order the 2 Paris Review issues, and I will have read everything. Wait. There are 4 pieces I have not read... What are they...

I can leave work in 1.5 hours. I'm bored.

2 comments:

  1. voice is the big show in writing circles, so i hear. substance is out, voice is in.

    so what type of voice do you write in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voice. Well I'm torn. Clearly the majority of entertainment is fluff, escapism.

    Voice can be clever and witty, but rarely teaches.

    What type of voice do I write in... I guess a serious voice, since I want to be a serious writer. But the recent Secret Project is writing, and all about voice - -

    It's coy and clever, and useless. So far, people seem to like it though. I don't know how I'd feel about becoming popular due to some vapid wordplay. Then I'd have to crank out more of the stuff, and my 'serious' work wouldn't sell.

    Like when John Grisham writes something non-courtroom related. Everyone is taken aback, the publisher is at a loss on how to market it, being for a different demographic, yadda yadda.

    I decry the cute wordplay, but if it allowed me to pay the bills, I'd jump at it.

    If you have the fortitude, say the word and I'll post one of my old short stories...

    What about your writing voice?

    ReplyDelete