Thursday, July 07, 2005

Blame the Media! Brilliant!

The ever angry and always funny Maddox has a few choice words about the blogging community. I can agree with many of his points, but he never gets around to complaining about the truly annoying blogs.

Paulius offered some good insight on blogging recently as well.

In researching my Snippets blog, I can spend a lot of time clicking 'Next Blog' to little result. Most blogs seem to be auto-populated product-selling ad pages, which I have no time for. If I want to research a product, I'll search with Froogle.

The media is the largest culprit in making blogging a tiresome subject. It's not as if posting one's thoughts and opinions to the web were new ideas or activities.

A lot of blog content is silly people rambling about their silly lives (like this blog), and loving every minute of attention that they get in the comments.

It's a good thing to keep a journal, be it paper or virtual. If only for our own perspective, looking back and looking forward. It's all about not taking yourself too seriously. And if someone else gets a chuckle out of it, that's cool too.

8 comments:

  1. Hard not to laugh at our boy Maddox, especially over the irony of his website being, essentially, a blog itself. Probably one of the original blogs, so we have Him to thank. Granted, the blogosphere (I say with a chuckle) has evolved around him. For instance, the only way to post a "comment" on his site is to send him hate mail laced with grammatical errors so he can put your (or "you're" to really annoy him) ignorance on display.

    Somewhere on his site I read that he creates all of his pages using vi on UNIX. Kudos to Maddox. Personally, I visit, read his posts, have a bit of a laugh, and then colon-q out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to point out that Maddox's site is itself a blog, but I feared his mighty smiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think about it, all a blog is is a website that has had all the difficult parts removed. IE, you don't need to know a damn thing about HTML to create one.

    People complained when TCP/IP first came onto the scene, because it allowed just about anyone online, whereas before, unless you knew what a modem init string was.

    In other words, the entry requirements have lowered considerably. Meaning quality of content has dropped, as just about anyone can have their own blog.

    It is, however, annoying when you see the sheer number of blogs by people who have nothing to say, and just created a blog because it's become fashionable.

    "Hey, my first post, wow!"

    "Hey, my second post!"

    "I know how to do pictures! Here's a picture of my back yard!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thought of repercussions ran through my mind, too, just before I hit "publish," so I went back and capitalized that 'H'. Due reference paid, I feel, should offer some protection from his squirrelly wrath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Now I'm off to remove all pictures of my back yard from my blog...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey--who are these new people??


    grrr . . . you were/are a treasure I wanted to keep all to myself . . . muhahahahaw . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what you get for leaving me all alone for so long! Hmph!

    ReplyDelete
  8. grrrrrrrrrrr. d*mn stat counters!

    ReplyDelete