Friday, July 01, 2005

My expectations are the problem

I get irritated by little things. Almost any little thing, really. I very rarely get angry, but I'm always ready to be annoyed, furrows and frowns at the ready.

People really don't like to be frowned at, and will change their behavior but quick, let me tell you.

If only!

Say I'm driving down a residential street, and there are cars parked on both sides of the street. As I try to drive down this street, three different people abruptly back out of their driveways directly in front of me, and then take their sweet time getting out of the way.

That's annoying - my internal impatience yells "Hey, I'm driving here!". But of course, a lot of people need to go to work at the same time, so it's likely that other drivers will delay me. It's not the drivers fault that parked cars are blocking their view of the street. Did I not expect to encounter other drivers on the road? Did I expect to have the world to myself?

If so, I should move far out into the desert and build a hut.

The expectation of certain results can be applied to almost everything that gets on my nerves. Things happen. The unforeseen will delay or derail my progress. Should I expect delays?

That's a pessimistic viewpoint, and I'm an optimist. So instead of expecting delays, I should try to go with the flow, and not have expectations.

Very Tao of me, yeah.
I need to focus on the whole 'go with the flow' thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how you can go without expectations. I think they are necessary, and that it's a matter of controlling the level of annoyance. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to be motivated, and to have an agenda.

    I'm just trying not to expect everything to go off without a hitch, delay, or hiccup.

    ReplyDelete