Friday, July 15, 2005

Yo, Detroit!

Hopefully, cars will be driving themselves soon. Humans are much too distracted to be good drivers. We're thinking about where we're going, what we'll do tomorrow, how great last night's shagging was, and how great tonight's shagging will be.

And cell phones. Don't get me started on cell phone use while driving. They're the worst evil since
Grand Theft Auto. In fact, I'm driving right now as I type this, and listening to my cellular voicemail, (sans headset) impressed with the fact that I have not yet spilled any coffee.

So I look forward to the days when my car is a robot, and I can sleep or surf the web on the way to my destination.

Until then, I have an idea that might help the people who are actually paying attention to the road and the cars zipping about on it - another indicator light.

I know, there seem to be quite enough lights and indicators on a car as it is, but there's one missing. There is an indicator for every behavior and motion except for one...

The Go Light. It's the Brake Light's tawdry sister (Does she... Go? I bet she does, I bet she does, wink wink nudge nudge say no more) and this light would indicate when the gas pedal was being pressed.

The Go Light would be green, and on the front and back of the vehicle, (as the brake lights should be) and would be handy in all sorts of situations. Often, when I need to make a small decrease in my speed, I don't press the brake, I just let off the gas.

The driver behind me doesn't know this, and if they're not paying attention - and with no brake lights to catch his eye - he might bump me, because let's face it, only rare drivers allow enough space between themselves and the car in front of them.

On those occasions when you have to make a left turn just as the stoplight is changing to red, it would be nice to know if the oncoming traffic were speeding up to beat the light or coasting to a stop.

7 comments:

  1. It's a thought - although it's just one more bulb to burn out, and I bet they would make the green ones really expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea, but since we'll all have flying cars soon, you'll need to put the Go Light on the top and bottom of the cars, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owwwwww!! I LOVE that idea!!!

    I think those would probally be more useful than brakelights in this society.

    Since when does one ever come to a COMPLETE stop anyway? Here, at stop signs (not signals), we have a thing called a "South Carolina ROLLING Stop"!!

    Yeah- it'll get you a ticket if a cop sees you doing it- BUT -in places where you can see in every direction perfectly for a good distance, it's wonderful to not HAVE to come to a complete stop when you're really, really late!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a better idea.

    A device hidden in the dashboard, like an airbag, only the device is a robot hand.

    A small camera keeps an eye on the driver, and when they talk on the phone (sans headset), do their makeup, read the paper, tailgate, or in any way drive like an ass...the hand comes out of the dashboard, and slaps the shit out of them.

    Might not help road safety all that much, but it would make me feel a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes! Slapping hand please!
    Can the one in my car also reach out and slap drivers in other cars too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, you know, I want a big ticker tape type thing in all my windows, with voice control, so I can start telling cars what I REALLY thing of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An old-fashioned idea perhaps, but what about a Thank You light?

    ReplyDelete