Monday, July 18, 2005

Missed Opportunities

When I was a kid, I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy. I was all about escapism back then, and in some ways I still am. I was always more comfortable alone, reading a book than I was socializing with people.

(Cause, you know, a person might say something I'm unprepared for. Can't have that).

One day when I was twelve, I was reading some 'average kid becomes wizard' fantasy fun, and the kid in the story was asking his mentor how the power came to him, where all the magic came from.

He was told that he was brave, and had heeded the call of someone in need, and this selfless act earned him the right to wield such power.

"I want to help people." I said out loud.

Just then, JUST THEN, as the words came out of my mouth, the doorbell rang. I nearly jumped out of my skin. I went not to the door but to a room nearby, where I could peek out the window and see who was at the door without being seen myself.

It was a woman - the new neighbor from next door. Hmn. She'd never just rung the doorbell before...

And I didn't answer the door. I let her walk away.

No magical powers for me.

3 comments:

  1. Think of how different your life might have been had you opened the door- helped the poor woman- and gotten your wizarding powers.

    Of course at 12 most of us didn't open the door for anyone when the parents weren't home. We didn't get our wizarding powers- but we did live to be the ripe old age we are today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever find out what she wanted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, her son was choking to death and she wanted to call 911.

    He died.

    No not really.
    I never found out.

    ReplyDelete