Friday, July 29, 2005

Mike's Blog in G, by YoHahn SomeGuy

I've sworn off conventional radio because it makes me want to kill people.

I'm not willing to pay for satellite radio.

So I've been listening to the local classical station. You know, it's all soothing, and maybe I'll learn to appreciate something cultural.

I've made some observations during the last few weeks of listening to classical -

A) There's not a lot of new stuff. Mostly it's the latest amazing violinist's interpretation of something someone wrote 500 years ago.

B) In 400 years, will we have a hundred and fifty different versions/remakes of "Baby Got Back"? I hope not.

C) Most of the music sounds the same to me, which you can say of any station I suppose. It's just my ignorant ear, which doesn't have the knowledge to properly appreciate what I'm listening to.

D) The DJ's talk as if they're all well-dosed with some prescription sedative.

F) I'm enjoying the classical guitar pieces, perhaps just because they're more clearly different from the other works.

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind hearing it in C major some time . . . just to spice it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like classical music. I really appreciate it when I hear music that takes skill and talent to play...and actually involves instruments.

    Too many songs are in the charts today that consist of a drum loop, a 4 note riff...and a guy saying 'YEAH!' and 'What?' and 'Wassup, y'all!' every 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classical can be nice, but I agree, to the untrained ear, seemingly repetitive. It's fun to find favorite pieces tho. Do you feel you are driving safer, less rage?

    Now, if say Korn was willing to remake "Baby Got Back", that's a version I'd have to check out on principle. Korn growling Top 40 hits and oldies is just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love classical music......It takes me to my happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless of one's feeling on classical music, I don't know how people can stand to deal with the DJs. I wish someone would just introduce these people to the concept of inflection.

    A hundred and fifty versions of "Baby Got Back"? That makes me glad I won't be around 400 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get DJ's either.

    People get famous and go on tour...for playing other people's music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like big butts and I cannot lie...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Paulius.

    And if classical music has the same effect as prescription sedatives, I'd say that's another plus.

    ReplyDelete