Monday, July 04, 2005

Wheelin And Dealin?

While at the gym the other morning (yeah, I talk about the gym a lot - I don't get out much, I go to work, the gym, and an occasional bookstore - at least I won't miss the wild days of my youth, once I'm a parent - I'm a thoroughbred homebody).

Ahem. While at the gym the other morning, I was on a machine near the wall of windows that faces the parking lot. So I was looking out the window, watching people park badly, and cringing.

There's a Bally's guy who does cleaning, and he was out sweeping up the litter from the parking lot. He parks his car in the member parking every day, which is slightly irksome, since as anyone who's parked at a gym knows, parking is at a premium. But whatever.

He's a chatty sort, so I don't think anything of it when a woman comes out of the gym after her workout and starts talking to him.

Then they go over to his car, an he opens the trunk. Then he carefully dons latex gloves, and opens a small cooler - the size you might keep a kidney in during donor transport.

He pulls out of the cooler a white vial - or more likely a bottle of pills. He's not being surreptitious in the slightest. It's as if he's selling her a Beanie Baby - and not even a rare one.

He appears to take a long sniff of the closed bottle, and they keep chatting for a few minutes. She's got some money in her hand, and he holds his goods, she holds her money, and they chat for a good five minutes. Chatting, or bartering? She sniffs the bottle, he sniffs the bottle, and finally she pays and departs with the bottle.

So what the hell is this guy selling? Even if it's just vitamins, what was with all the sniffing? Does he market custom perfumes? What's with the latex gloves? If they are perfumes, perhaps he just doesn't want to smell like lilac all day.

Were they prescription drugs from Mexico? Probably vitamins, since they were so laid back about the whole thing. But I doubt that Bally's employees are authorized to peddle nutritional supplements to members on the retail property.

Perhaps he wore the gloves because his hands were a bit grimy from cleaning the parking lot? Possibly.

3 comments:

  1. Intriguing.... all your observations and possibilities seem plausible. But all the same, I'll steer clear of the Bally's parking lot. The occasional drug deal is fine, I'm just a little concerned about the gloves, makes me wonder what else he uses them for....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Parking Lot Dealing Mobile Sperm Bank.

    People, we are present at the birth of an Urban Legend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha ha!! I wish I'd thought of the Sperm Bank angle.

    Classic!

    ReplyDelete