Tuesday, November 09, 2004

There's No Crying in Baseball!

Liz dropped her car off for repairs at the local VW mechanic, and we hung out for about an hour, until I left for work. It was nice to chat with her! She might be moving in with an old friend from high school who recently moved to the area.

I got virtually no writing done this morning, maybe a few paragraphs. When Liz came over, I stopped. I don't begrudge the 'hanging out' time, but I wish I wasn't so far behind. Every day I calculate the number of words I'm in the hole, and the hole gets bigger every day. I need to bite the bullet and catch up already! I don't think any bullet biting will happen tonight, Michelle's off today and we'll probably go out gallavanting.

I've reached the point where a good portion of the main characters have been introduced, the direction is under way, and now I have to really sell the plot. My crazy producer has to give this pitch, a speech that will make the show idea sound amazing, and win over the execs. So this has to be some eloquent shit coming up, and I have to cultivate that mood.

I need to figure out the singular story arc for the novel. Like, one book can have a wide variety of events and minor themes, but in the end it's all about 'coming to terms with your own weakness' or 'learning to trust others' or some such. Hmmmm.

Also - if I continue at my present rate, I think I may surpass 50,000 words. Not that this is a bad thing, it just means that the novel won't be complete on November 30. I don't think the peeps at NaNoWriMo will care - they don't read the thing in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment